We LOVE hummus! Do you? We love eating hummus with pita chips or fresh vegetables. We enjoy all kinds of hummus store bought, but there is nothing like homemade hummus! It’s super easy and really worth the little time it takes to make it. Store bought hummus is really convenient when you are in a rush, but if you have a little bit of time you will have to make your own. Trust me!
When making hummus at home you will need 5 basic ingredients to get started. Lemon juice, Tahini (ground up sesame seeds), olive oil, salt, & garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Then you will add whatever flavor you would like for your hummus to have. You could add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, red peppers….whatever your heart desires. When making my own hummus I love to use Mezzetta Everything Spread. This spread comes in four different mouth watering flavors, Garlic & Parmesan, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil, Olive, Garlic & Parmesan and Hot Chili Pepper. All you need to do is add a Tablespoon of whichever ever spread sounds good to your hummus and you have a different twist every time.
In today’s two hummus recipes I used the Olive, Parmesan & Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Mezzetta Everything Spread. These spreads instantly add a delicious flavor to your hummus or however you decide to use the spread. With these spreads you can mix it, toss it, dip it, blend it, stir, or even spread it on whatever you like. I can find the Mezzetta Everything Spread on the Italian food aisle at my local grocery story. It is next to the pasta and sauces. If you can’t find it at your local grocery then you can also purchase them online at www.mezzetta.com
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup Tahini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tablespoon of the Olive, Parmesan, & Garlic everything spread by Mezzetta (or 1 Tablespoon of the other flavors of your choice)
- 1 (15oz) can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 Tablespoons of water if needed
- ½ Tablespoon of the spread that you chose for garnish
- In a food processor add the lemon juice and tahini first and process until smooth.
- Then add your olive oil, salt, and Olive, Parmesan, & Garlic everything spread.
- Process until smooth.
- Add you Garbanzo beans and process until smooth.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of water if your hummus seems dry.
- Garnish with an additional ½ Tablespoon of Olive, Parmesan, & Garlic spread.
- Serve with Pita chips or fresh vegetables of your choice.
To make the Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Hummus follow the recipe above substituting the Olive, Parmesan, & Garlic Mezzetta Everything Spread for the Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Mezzetta Everything Spread.
Mezzetta Everything Spread is giving my readers two chances to win a Mezzetta Gift Basket of their own. First you can enter below by answering this question, “Which Everything Spread are you most excited to try?” I will be choosing a winner on Thursday April 9th and Mezzetta will ship you your gift basket. Second, you can go directly to Mezzetta’s website and enter there by clicking HERE. Good Luck!