There is a small little town right out side of San Antonio called Castroville. Inside Castroville is this little cafe called….wait for it…. Castroville Cafe! Yep! 🙂 And in my opinion serve the BEST broccoli cheese soup. I LOVE it! A cup of this soup, with a side salad, and a half sandwich is what I always get. So good! So lately I have been wanting to make broccoli cheese soup at home so I can have more than just a cup of this lovely stuff. I think that I have come pretty close if not nailed the same soup. I wish that I could tell most of you to try this soup and compare it, but you are going to just have to take my word for it.
- ⅓ cup butter, sliced
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 2 (12oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute you onions in your sliced butter until they begin to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute until the garlic starts to brown just a little.
- Add flour and whisk constantly. You are going to start creating your roux or cream sauce.
- While you are whisking your flour and butter mixture slowly add your evaporated milk. Continue to stir constantly.
- Continue to stir until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Once it has thickened add your chicken broth, broccoli, and thyme. Cover with a lid and let cook on low or a simmer for about 30 minutes or until broccoli softens.
- Turn heat off and add shredded cheeses & heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Try these with this soup and you will forever love me!! All delicious!
Have a great week friends! Blessings to all of you!