I love having cornbread this time of year to go along side several dishes. This moist and easy cornbread is excellent with chili or soup. I love to slice some warm cornbread in half and smear some butter in the middle… hmmmm so delicious and just down right comfort food! You know what I’m talking about! 😉
When I was a little girl we used to always go to a cafeteria style restaurant in Corpus Christi called Luby’s. Have you heard of it? We would meet my grandfather there at 11am for lunch about once a week. He was always there right when the doors opened everyday. Well, I always remember loving their cornbread. They had both sweet and jalapeño cornbread. I would always get one or the other with Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and coconut meringue pie. As you can tell I was a healthy girl!! 😉 Meat and potato kind of girl even then. 😉
So every once in while I still enjoy putting some chopped jalapeño’s into my cornbread to add a little kick. You can add pickled or fresh depending on how you like it. Or add a little bit more sugar and have sweet cornbread. There are so many different ways to make this type of bread. I love it! How do you like your cornbread? Have you ever tried it with fresh corn? So So good!!
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder & soda, and salt) in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, and butter) in a bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. There will be lumps in your batter but you don't want any dry spots.
- Pour your batter into your greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick is inserted into the middle and comes out dry.
- Let cornbread cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.