My heart is filled with joy and sadness as I sit here with my boys during one of their last lazy mornings before school starts. We have thoroughly enjoyed our summer in our new city and home. School is going to be great for the boys and they are both ready socially and academically. School will challenge them in ways that I can’t here at home to prepare them for the world set before them. We are so excited about this new chapter in our lives, but it breaks my heart to see a chapter end even though its the next best thing for all of us.
To help make our morning special today I made these yummy Cornmeal Breakfast Muffins. These muffins have scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, and fried bacon strips all baked right in. To top them off, and even tastier, we drizzle syrup on top. Delicious!! I’m thinking about making some more and freezing them and pulling them out for our busy school mornings when we don’t have a lot of time but want something warm and yummy.
I know school has already started for some of you and I hope that it has been a great start for each of you. If you want to share any tips for making the first week more successful for you and your kids I would love to hear them. I know I will be all smiles when I drop them off but will probably ball like a baby on my way home. Have a great week everyone!
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into thirds
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack or cheddar cheese
- syrup for drizzling over the top (optional, but highly recommend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place bacon in between two paper towels and microwave for 4 minutes. Check the bacon as you get close to the end to make sure you are not over cooking your bacon. You can also cook your bacon on the stove top. If you choose to cook it this way be sure to keep your bacon grease. ;)
- Scramble you eggs in 2 tsp. bacon grease (if you saved yours) or just spray your pan with Pam. Don't over cook your eggs. Keep them some what moist. Set aside.
- Combine your dry ingredients in one bowl and your wet ingredients in another.
- Then combine dry, wet, eggs, & cheese altogether. Stir until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Spray your muffin tin with Pam, butter, or for an even tastier muffin grease you tin with more of your leftover bacon grease. Yummy!!
- Fill you muffin cups with your egg mixture and place a piece of bacon on the top of each muffin.
- Cook at 400 until a toothpick in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
- Serve with syrup on top if desired. (We LOVE ours this way!)