Summer is finally here!! I am so ready for lazy mornings and afternoons by the pool with my guys. Next school year my boys school starts early, or at least early for us, and we are going to try to enjoy all these lazy summer mornings as much as we can before real life smacks us in the face come August!
My husband and I have really been trying to watch what we eat in the evenings. You will find in upcoming posts a lot of salads and recipes with beans, nuts, and grains. I know it sounds bland but I have found some really yummy ways to eat healthy for us that I want to share with you.
Farro… Have you heard of it before?? I know that I hadn’t until not long ago. Farro is a tasty grain that can be used as a substitute for rice or pasta in many dishes given its high fiber and protein content. It tastes like a light brown rice and isn’t very heavy. To me it is a great combination with the yogurt and sweet berries in this parfait. I usually love granola with my yogurt and berries but this time I wanted to try something different. You will love it! Have you ever had Farro before? How did you have it prepared?
When preparing the Berries & Farro Parfait I used Danon Light & Fit Nonfat Yogurt 80 calorie small individual containers. You of course could use any of your favorite yogurt flavors. Also instead of honey or any type of sweet syrup drizzled on top of the berries I chose to use a Light Agave Nectar. It is a low glycemic organic sweetener that is from the agave plant. It added a deliciously sweet syrupy flavor to the parfait. A must try folks! Yummy and healthy!
- 1/2 cup Farro
- 1 cup strawberries and blueberries
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons Agave Nectar
- Combine your 1/2 cup of Farro and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Once at a boil reduce it to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Let Farro stand for 5 minutes in your covered pot and then fluff with a fork.
- Wash and cut up your berries.
- In your parfait containers layer ingredients starting with Farro, yogurt, berries, drizzle the berries with the Agave nectar, and then top with slivered almonds.