Our little boy is potty trained!! If you could see me right now you would see me doing a happy dance! 🙂 He has been scared to death to sit on the potty so we have had to do a little bribing with a new toy, but it was way worth it! It’s only been three days of no accidents, but hey we are on our way.
Our boys are twenty months a part in age so we have had someone in diapers for the past four years! Do you know how much money we are going to save if this potty training thing sticks!?!?! A LOT! I am so proud of my boy and he is too.
My mother in law is also visiting from Illinois. I absolutely love having her here. She helps me in the kitchen, folds laundry, and helps me keep things picked up. Plus all my boys are loving her extra attention too which is fun to watch. 🙂
As you know from reading my blog I am a lover of Mexican food. And, I am also a lover of things that I should not eat such as this recipe. Which is why a frequent the gym these days. 😉 These chicken chimichangas with a green chili sour cream sauce are a little piece of deep fried heaven and are sinfully delicious. But every once in a while its ok to eat bad things…right???
Chimichangas are popular in the southwest and can be filled with many different variations of meats, rice, beans, and cheeses. One of my favorite cream sauces is this one with the green chilies. It goes especially well with this chicken filled tortilla. Have you ever had a chimichanga before. If so, how do you like to have yours? What is your favorite filling?
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Season your chicken breasts with chili powder, salt, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, & cayenne pepper.
- In a large pan cook your seasoned chicken breasts for about 15 minutes.
- Add 4 oz of the green chilis, the onion & garlic to the simmering chicken. Cook chicken until done. While cooking the chicken be sure to keep about a cup of juices in with the chicken. Don't let your vegetables get dry. You will need this later.
- Once your chicken is done remove and shred. Return your shredded chicken to the remaining juices and veggies.
- While the chicken was cooking you can start working on your cream sauce. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add the flour until combined. Add the water and bouillon cube until dissolved. Constantly be stirring your sauce until it starts to thicken. Once it thickens you can add the sour cream and remaining 3 ounces of green chilies. Keep on low heat while you assemble your chimichangas. You don't want your sauce to burn.
- Heat frying oil to 375 degrees F.
- To assemble your chimichanga lay out a flour tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon a small amount of the chicken mixture into the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with the shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Fold the ends of the tortilla toward the chicken mixture, wrap the sides of the tortilla over the folded ends, and then place a toothpick in each end to hold together while frying.
- Fry chimichanga on each side until golden brown and cheese has melted inside.
- Repeat with remaining 7 tortillas.
- Place fried chimichanga on a plate and drizzle with Chili Sour Cream sauce.
If you do make these chimichangas then you will have to make this super easy and delicious salsa to go along with it!! Yum!!
Happy start to your week everyone and I hope that blessing abound each of you. 🙂