In college my roommate was an excellent cook and I learned so much from her. She taught me how to make Spanish rice and I have never wanted instant again. It’s so easy to throw together and you won’t regret the little extra time it takes. This version of Spanish rice is your starter recipe. In south TX authentic Spanish rice most of the time has carrots, corn, peas, cooked onions, or cilantro. You can pretty much add any veggie that you want and it’s Delish!!
Is Spanish rice a common side in your area? If so, how is it made? What all is added to the rice to make it special? I’d love to hear from you. 🙂
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- dash of red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- dash of chili powder (optional)
- In a skillet, brown rice in 1 T canola oil.
- When rice is almost done, add onion, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper and chili powder if you want.
- Brown rice until complete.
- Slowly add your tomato sauce while stirring it into your rice.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cover until rice is done, about 20 minutes.