My sweet mom at the age of 63 was diagnosed this summer with severe Celiac disease. She is six feet tall and got down to a very scary weight of 103 before the doctors ever were able to figure out what was wrong. Our whole family was terrified that something very serious was wrong and were all scared to death for her. She suffered for six long months trying so hard to figure out what was going on.
So, after me insisting that she have every test in the books run so we could get some answers we finally got the diagnosis. She called me in disbelief to tell me that after all these years she has Celiac! I was over joyed!! Praise the Lord!! This illness we could work with!! I knew that it would change her lifestyle and be hard but we were going to have her with us and that was all that mattered to me.
I love cooking for my family when they come to visit. Unfortunately though most of my recipes have gluten in them. 🙁 So each time they visit I am on the search to find delicious gluten free meals to make for her that we can all eat and enjoy. So far everything that I have made that is gluten free has turned out really good. I will be sharing the recipes here with you. You can find them all using the gluten free tag over on my right side bar.
The muffelatta sandwich is so good!! I have always loved the olive mix and this recipe tastes just like the one I had in New Orleans if not better. This sandwich is practically all gluten free except for the bread. My mom LOVES Udi’s gluten free bread so that is what she ate her sandwich on. When looking at this recipe I wasn’t sure which meats would be gluten free, if any. But when I went to my local grocery store I learned that ALL of Boars Head meats and cheeses are gluten free. I was a amazed!! Their meats are so fresh and delicious. It’s what I always buy anyway and now I can continue to serve on sandwiches when my family is in town.
Since my moms diagnosis she hasn’t been sick for one day! Isn’t that great!! She has put on thirty pounds and feels wonderful. She loves her new diet and how it makes her feel. I hope that you come back to see what great gluten free meals that I have found and am sharing with my mom. Hope everyone has a great week!
Olive Mix Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables)
- 2 lg. pepperoncini
- 1 md. clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- A couple of grinds of blackpepper
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Directions to make olive mix:
1. Drain all ingredients.
2. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
To make a Gluten Free Muffelatta Sandwich you will need:
- 1 loaf Udi’s Gluten Free Bread
- 1 cup olive mix
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced ham
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced salami
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced provolone
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced mozzarella
- 1/4 lb Boar’s Head sliced turkey
To assemble the sandwich:
- Using two slices of the Udi Gluten Free bread spread a spoonful or two of the olive mix on one half of the bread
- Then layer however many pieces of the ham, pepperoni, salami, provolone, mozzarella, & turkey that you wish for your sandwich.
- Place your other half of bread on the layers and enjoy your homemade Italian sandwich! 🙂
Below is a picture of a NON Gluten free Muffelata sandwich. The only difference though between the two sandwiches is the bread. On the this sandwich I used Focaccia bread which was NOT Gluten Free.